Monday, January 16, 2017

Confusing Candy

Over the Christmas holiday week, we took vacation, and our family began work on a 1000 piece puzzle depicting a scene of various kinds of Nestle candies. We made some significant progress during the week by connecting over 50% of the pieces. In order to enjoy things like puzzles, we intentionally set aside the responsibilities and weighty concerns of life while vacationing, but that couldn’t continue.

When vacation was finished, I quickly felt the overwhelming weight of life’s many challenges resting on my shoulders again. The question of ______ and all its complexities was right in my face, relentlessly pressing me for a response, and I didn’t know the answer. So I tried to find relief by looking in a different direction. When I turned my head, the challenge of ______ was inches from my nose, staring directly into my eyes, demanding that I decisively take a side, but again I didn’t know what the right answer was. I tried to find relief by looking in yet a different direction. This time I found a passive aggressive contestant. I found the questions of ______, which have so quietly but persistently dogged our every step for who knows how long. Finally, I turned and saw a new opponent. This young and fresh face boldly asked ______, and the case was undeniably compelling such that I knew I had to take action. Weighty, complex, urgent, important, undeniable, unavoidable questions all, and each resting squarely on my shoulders, what was I to do?

Upon returning from work at the end of a day grappling with these many questions, I came to stand beside our unfinished puzzle. I looked at the scrambled pieces and the gaps in the picture. There were still too many pieces missing to fit on the table for display, and the overflow rested in a chaotic pile in the puzzle box. I looked at the puzzle for a moment, having no idea where any of the loose pieces belonged. I decided to begin organizing the pieces neatly around the perimeter. I find comfort in order. It’s easier for me to understand the puzzle problem when the loose pieces are arranged in orderly way. As I sorted, God reminded me that He’s not the same as me.

I realized in that moment, that Jesus is not even remotely challenged by any puzzle. He could sit down with my 1000 piece puzzle, take a piece out of the box, and place it on the table exactly where it belongs. He could then pick up another, and another, and another placing each one exactly where they belong. He could assemble the entire puzzle that way, and never have to move a single piece twice, not even for the slightest adjustment. I love that.


We did end up finishing the puzzle. The confusion of the Nestle candies disappeared, into one complete and satisfying picture. In a similar way, God continues to work in our hearts and lives, reminding us daily of His ability when we recognize our inability to answer the questions of life. He has proved faithful to carry us this far, and we smile with confidence that He will continue to be faithful to solve the puzzle of life we are so confused by. There have been many examples already, where He has done just that in part. Therefore, we are confident that one day, we will look back and see the complete and satisfying picture that He knew all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment