Monday, August 26, 2013

my first thoughts upon returning (after 12 hours of sleep:))

So here I sit, back in my chair typing on my computer after having been away for two weeks to Zambia.  I do not have any work scheduled today because I expected to need the time to get my "head back on straight."  I'm glad I don't have plans other than that.  Al has to leave in a few minutes for cross-country trials, I hope that goes well for her.  She hasn't been training for the last two weeks.  God, please be gracious to Al and help her to have a good attitude this morning.  Please also help her to do well despite the lack of training while in Zambia.  Ab has football practice this afternoon with his team who's been practicing for two weeks.  God, please be gracious to Ab by helping him to have a good attitude and do well despite his not practicing with his team for two weeks, and please help him to fit into the team well.  Erin seems to be well on her way to being adjusted to home life again.  It will be interesting to participate in conversation with Erin as we let this Zambia experience percolate in our hearts.  The two most prominent questions in my mind and heart as we've come back are these.

  1. Who has God designed us to be/become?  
  2. What has God designed us for doing?  
These questions come with a strong undercurrent of belief that I (and most here in the) States spend our lives with our eyes firmly fixed on ourselves and our own circumstances.  If we look to others, we often compare ourselves and circumstances to theirs in this fashion:
  1. When someone has more than me, I despise God's grace in giving me what I have because I don't have everything I want.
  2. When someone has less than me, I puff out my chest for my skillful living and choosing (not God's grace) has secured my life for me.

Proverbs 30:8b-9 rings true:

"give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?'
Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."



I believe that God has created us with purpose.  I wonder if i've been missing out on being amazed by God because I spend so much time focused on myself.  Again I wonder... Who has God designed us to be/become? What has God designed us to do?

scott

No comments:

Post a Comment